Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Craigslist Bench to Finish the Dining Set...

Although the dining set was what I wanted & was a great price, it only had four chairs & for our family of six that just doesn't work.  I knew it would be tough to find two more chairs that were the same & although I could go with two totally different chairs I really liked the cane work style.  When I came across this bench on Craigslist I instantly squealed.  It was perfect...Well perfect after I got hold of it!  This was my fastest project to date.  I got home with the bench at 6:30 & it was dine & in the dining room just after 9:00! 

A few before & afters...








There is still SO much to do in here, but things are coming together pretty good!

7 comments:

  1. SO great! Love how it all came together, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Check back for another change I am making to the dining set...I'm afraid it is going to be one of those 'never ending' projects! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really pretty! Don't you love it when things just work out?
    BTW...this is Lisa, not Elder G...I can't seem to figure out how to change my google information and my son has been home from his mission 3 months now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Yes, sometimes you just get lucky! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The table looks really nice. I have a friend with a similar set and now she wants to do the same thing. Can I ask what paint and/or primer you used and any topcoat? Also, for the chairs, how did you paint the caning?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure...I used Kilz low odor primer...I intended to use Zissner because I have read great things about it, however my local store did not have it. For the paint I used Glidden color Shaded Ice #WGW27, but I used Sherwin Williams paint. I don't recall what it is called, but it is their toughest grade. The guy at our local SW told me I wouldn't need any top coat with this paint as it is tough as nails. So far so good. I planned on using Verathane as a sealer as I have read that it will not yellow white paint, but my local Home Depot does not carry it any longer & I couldn't find it. I'm not too paranoid about the finish on the table top as I plan to sand the top down & stain it at a later time. For the cane backing I just used my brush. I would get the excess out & then just quickly brush it & smush the brush around. I made sure to check the opposite side I was painting to make sure there weren't any drips oozing through. I hope that helps! I will check what the SW paint is called & post it tomorrow! Let me know if you have any other questions. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Erin~The paint is Sherwin Williams Pro Choice. Mine is Satin finish, although I told him I wanted Eggshell...Oh well, I never even realized it till now. Lol

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete